Monday, April 21, 2008

Track Review: Weezer - "Pork and Beans"

Rating: 3.9 / 5.0

"I'm going to do the things that I want to do, / I ain't got a thing to prove to you."

So sings messiah-turned-pariah Rivers Cuomo in the chorus to the lead single from Weezer's forthcoming Red LP. Well, it's about god damn time. It's been a hell of a long ride, but this song shows the potential for a return to the charming, self-deprecating form that made Weezer so endearing on their previous and manicoloured eponymous records and the legendary Pinkerton.

This is the Weezer we - or at least I - used to love: incisive (that one line about Timbaland is damn good), nerdy, masterfully, effortlessly walking the line between schtick and satire. It's not perfect (the lyrics sound a lot like a throwback and aren't necessarily the work of a Rivers Cuomo on the very top of his game), it's not as good as the stuff off Blue, but it's the biggest bounce back imaginable from "Beverly Hills" that was realistically possible. It was enough to compel me to suspend my cynicism until I hear the whole record. Consider me aboard the bandwagon (lonely as I may be).

-PTC

No comments: